AutoBanter

-   Chrysler (http://www.autobanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Nitrogen tire filling arrives in Calgary (CostCo) (http://www.autobanter.com/showthread.php?t=8765)

[email protected] November 8th 04 11:54 PM

On Sat, 02 Oct 2004 09:49:25 -0400, MoPar Man > wrote:

>Nitrogen tire filling arrives in Calgary

<snip>
>Experts say that nitrogen molecules are four times larger than oxygen.

Umm.. not true. Or, so sayeth my chemist wife, after she got through with
ROFL when we say this at Costco ourselves.

--
John Bartley K7AAY http://celdata.cjb.net
This post quad-ROT-13 encrypted; reading it violates the DMCA.

[email protected] November 8th 04 11:54 PM

TOM KAN PA November 11th 04 07:24 PM

I fill mine with helium. It has a tendency to lift the vehicle a hair, thus
reducing the weight (pull of gravity) and greatly increases the mpg.

TOM KAN PA November 11th 04 07:24 PM

Daniel J. Stern November 11th 04 08:01 PM

On Thu, 11 Nov 2004, TOM KAN PA wrote:

> I fill mine with helium. It has a tendency to lift the vehicle a hair,
> thus reducing the weight (pull of gravity) and greatly increases the
> mpg.

That's fine in the summer, but in the winter you definitely want to fill
your tires with Freon. Being heavier than air, it helps your tires stick
to slippery roads.

Daniel J. Stern November 11th 04 08:01 PM

Richard November 12th 04 02:13 AM

"Daniel J. Stern" > wrote in message
n.umich.edu...
> On Thu, 11 Nov 2004, TOM KAN PA wrote:
>
>> I fill mine with helium. It has a tendency to lift the vehicle a hair,
>> thus reducing the weight (pull of gravity) and greatly increases the
>> mpg.

> That's fine in the summer, but in the winter you definitely want to fill
> your tires with Freon. Being heavier than air, it helps your tires stick
> to slippery roads.

Actually, farmers fill their tractor tires part of the way with salt water
to help keep the tractors from rolling over. Perhaps this should be required
by the Feds in all SUV's to solve their roll over problem. Cheaper than
those computer stability systems for sure.

Richard.

Richard November 12th 04 02:13 AM

Joe November 12th 04 03:03 AM

"Richard" > wrote in message

> "Daniel J. Stern" > wrote in message
> n.umich.edu...
> > On Thu, 11 Nov 2004, TOM KAN PA wrote:
> >
> >> I fill mine with helium. It has a tendency to lift the vehicle a hair,
> >> thus reducing the weight (pull of gravity) and greatly increases the
> >> mpg.

> > That's fine in the summer, but in the winter you definitely want to fill
> > your tires with Freon. Being heavier than air, it helps your tires stick
> > to slippery roads.

> Actually, farmers fill their tractor tires part of the way with salt water
> to help keep the tractors from rolling over. Perhaps this should be

required
> by the Feds in all SUV's to solve their roll over problem. Cheaper than
> those computer stability systems for sure.
>
> Richard.

Mercury would be even better for handling. Plus, it conducts electricity
should your car be struck by lightning.

Seriously though, liquid-filled tires are only suitable for very slow-moving
equipment like farm tractors. They would never balance at speed.

Joe November 12th 04 03:03 AM