AutoBanter

-   Jeep (http://www.autobanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Jeep 4.0L with Rubicon tires (30.6") and 4.56 ok? (http://www.autobanter.com/showthread.php?t=72407)

kion August 15th 06 04:37 PM

Jeep 4.0L with Rubicon tires (30.6") and 4.56 ok?

I Have a 2005 TJ with 4.0L and 3.07 with 30.6 tires, in my next upgrade
i'm installing a detroit locker on the rear axle and a True Track in
the front axle with 4.56 Gears? What are your experience with this
setup?

I'm specially concerned about the gear ratio, since i'm not very sure
weather to install the 4.11 or the 4.56. I have not installed 33's
because I do not want to break an axle. but probably will.

Please any experience Will be of great help.

Troy August 15th 06 05:11 PM

Jeep 4.0L with Rubicon tires (30.6") and 4.56 ok?

Wow dude, 4.56's with 30" tires is gonna be crazy to drive. I have 4.56's
with 33's and it's somewhat a short gear. I usually am shifting to 3rd by
the time I leave an intersection if I'm trying to be conservative about
driving. I would not put those gears on with those size tires.

I also have the true track up front and a detroit in the rear, but I first
had a dana35 in the rear with a truetrac and 33's, but switched to a danar44
with the detroit locker. I also had it geared to 4.11 first time, then when
I switched the rear ends went to 4.56.

Now being in Florida, with really no rock climbing the 4.11's would be
better for my fuel efficiency on the highway but I noticed when I was
running up sandhills n such that it would bog the engine a little so I
upgraded to the lower gears.

So if you are eventually going to put on the 33's and want a locker, I would
say just drive it around with the 30's and no driveline mods until you can
afford to do it all at once. I had the 3.07's with 31" tires and while it
wasn't a strong gear I just ran the rpm's a bit higher while offroad and had
no problems, even with open differentials. And don't put that locker on the
dana35 rear end you probably have, a guy did this in
town with 33's and broke an axle turning in a parking lot.

Troy

ups.com...

Jeeper August 15th 06 05:25 PM

Jeep 4.0L with Rubicon tires (30.6") and 4.56 ok?

im running 456 with 35's 3 spd auto its perfect setup

--

ups.com...

kion August 15th 06 05:41 PM

Jeep 4.0L with Rubicon tires (30.6") and 4.56 ok?

> And don't put that locker on the
> dana35 rear end you probably have, a guy did this in
> town with 33's and broke an axle turning in a parking lot.

Was that an ARB forgotten to turn off ?

Yes I do have the Dana 35 rear axle, but I belive that if I go easy on
the throttle while turning I might get away without breaking my axles
right?

Troy August 15th 06 06:43 PM

Jeep 4.0L with Rubicon tires (30.6") and 4.56 ok?

Oh no this guy had a detroit locker and it was on a YJ, with quite a few
miles on it and he's even used it heavily offroad. He said it was his fault
and he should have handled it differently.

I did speak to one guy who said his son had a rockcrawler type setup on his
jeep, and that the rear end had a spool. I asked how in the world did he
drive it around on the roads, and he said his son put some sort of locking
hubs on the rear, much like the front. Every week or so he'd unlock one
wheel, so the other wheel would be propelling him so he could go around
corners. He'd switch every so often to even out the tire wear.

I always thought that was a neat idea but I don't know how it would be done
since I've never messed with locking hubs before. My TJ is the first
offroad vehicle I've owned and it doesn't have them.

Troy

ups.com...

Jeff Strickland[_1_] August 15th 06 07:22 PM

Jeep 4.0L with Rubicon tires (30.6") and 4.56 ok?

4.56s with 30" tires will be pretty low. The engine will be runing very fast
at freeway speeds.

ups.com...

kion August 15th 06 08:24 PM

Jeep 4.0L with Rubicon tires (30.6") and 4.56 ok?

Jeff Strickland ha escrito:

> 4.56s with 30" tires will be pretty low. The engine will be runing very fast
> at freeway speeds.

According to my calculations going at
60 MPH i will be at 2650 RPM
That does not sound unliveable But I really do not want to take a wrong
desicion.

Jeff Strickland[_1_] August 15th 06 08:52 PM

Jeep 4.0L with Rubicon tires (30.6") and 4.56 ok?

How often to you get to go 60? I only hit sixty on my way to 70+, then I hit
it again on my way back down.

As a point of comparison, I have a '95 Bronco with a 5.8L (351 ci) motor,
and I'm turning closer to 1500 at 60.

My Jeep with the 258 won't even go much faster than 3500 rpm, and that seems
like a strain. I gotta think that you'll be hating life at 2650 rpm doing
60, and you'll hate 3000 rpm doing 70 even more.

oups.com...

Mike Romain August 15th 06 10:09 PM

Jeep 4.0L with Rubicon tires (30.6") and 4.56 ok?

If I wind my CJ7's 258 up to 3000 rpm in 4th gear, I am doing about 80
mph. At 65 mph I turn 2300 rpm in 4th and 1700 in 5th. I prefer the
2300 rpm and get a lot better mileage there than lugging along at 1700
rpm.

But I have on 33's turned by 3.31 gears.... ;-)

The red line on mine is only 4500 rpm, but at least it will pull to 4400
now, then it hits the wall. Stock with the emissions computer in the
loop, it seemed to be governed to 3500 or so.

Mike
88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's

Kate[_3_] August 16th 06 02:03 AM

Jeep 4.0L with Rubicon tires (30.6") and 4.56 ok?

The wear and tear on your engine and reduced fuel economy might be a
consideration here too.

Kate
06 Rubicon

oups.com...