AutoBanter

-   Antique cars (http://www.autobanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Olds Brake part needed. (http://www.autobanter.com/showthread.php?t=7400)

M&B March 25th 04 10:11 PM

Olds Brake part needed.

hey all, i have a '68 Olds "98" w/ Power Drum brakes front and rear. i need
a proportioning valve or some call it a distribution valve. i can get the
one i have rebuilt, but i'd rather find a NOS or used part for a spare.

thanks for any leads...

mike..........................

Joe Way March 27th 04 07:23 PM

On Thu, 25 Mar 2004 21:11:24 GMT, "M&B"
> wrote:

>hey all, i have a '68 Olds "98" w/ Power Drum brakes front and rear. i need
>a proportioning valve or some call it a distribution valve. i can get the
>one i have rebuilt, but i'd rather find a NOS or used part for a spare.
>

>thanks for any leads...
>

>mike..........................

==================================
A drum brake car will not have a proportioning valve, which is used
only in disc/drum setups. I suspect you have a distribution block with
a brake warning switch. These have only two functions, as opposed to
the four or five functions in the "combination" valves used in
disc/drum cars, although they look a lot alike.

It serves as a manifold to distribute fluid, typically having two
inputs (front and rear) and three outputs (left front, right front,
and rear), and it houses a shuttle piston which is exposed to fluid
pressure from the front and rear circuits. If the pressure is equal on
both sides, the piston remains centered. If pressure is lost on one
side, the piston moves in that direction when pressure is applied to
the other side, activating the brake warning lamp on the dashboard.

Not counting the switch, the only moving part is the piston. They
usually have an o-ring at each end. If the block is made of brass, it
will probably need only cleaning and new o-rings to make it as new.
Note that common butyl o-rings as available from the parts house or
hardware store are not suitable for use in brake fluid. You'll need
o-rings made of EPDM, which are available from industrial supply
houses. Or if you're close to a clutch & brake supply or a brake parts
rebuilder, they might have some. The o-rings used to seal the piston
retaining screw on some Mopar master cylinders may be the right size.

If it doesn't have a brake warning switch in it, with a terminal for
the wire, then it's just a distribution block and has only drilled
passages for fluid flow. I don't think the warning lamp was required
by DOT in '68, but GM might have gotten a jump on the requirements, so
it could be either way.

Joe
--
Heather & Joe Way