AutoBanter

-   Driving (http://www.autobanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Smart cars coming to the US (http://www.autobanter.com/showthread.php?t=68708)

B1ackwater July 1st 06 07:25 AM

Smart cars coming to the US

"Grendel" > wrote:

>B1ackwater wrote:
>> On 29 Jun 2006 07:08:13 -0700, "Grendel" >
>> wrote:

>> >I agree, and in certain parts of the country I would be driving one in
>> >a heartbeat (the Dakotas, Montana and/or Colorado). But, in the South
>> >at least, riding a hog is asking for trouble. SOMEONE is going to run
>> >into you and/or pull out in front of you, and for the person on the
>> >Harley it's a loosing proposition.

>> Odd ... I've got at least 800,000 miles on bikes without
>> anyone squashing me. That's way beyond mere "luck". Clearly
>> I'm doing something right. There are plenty of bikers in
>> the same category, many in the million-mile club.
>>
>> Then there are the idiots ... but there are always some
>> idiots everywhere you go.

>Yes, there are idiots. Unfortunately I live in an area of the country
>where a lot of idiots do not know how to drive. People around here
>can't see a Fire Truck well enough not to pull out in front of it
>(actually happened). If I were to live in another part of the country
>I would probably have a bike (if I lived in the Dakotas you'd have a
>hard time getting me off of one). But not here.

Clue : People see what they're LOOKING FOR. They're
looking for automobiles - not motorcycles, not fire-
trucks. Faced with what they're not looking for they
may as well be blind. Consider this and its implications ...

>> >So, I forgo the fun of a two-wheeler for the safety of heavy
>> >metal (dirt bikes are another story).

>> "Safety" For WHOM ???

>For ME, and MY family. THAT is the only ones I need be worried about
>and THEY are the only ones who are MY responsibility.

Choke 'em on pollution ... yea, that's "safe" ...

>> You're operating a device that's
>> destroying the earth by bletching out mass quantities of
>> CO2 and horrible poisons,

>Get back to me when you give up any and all internal combustion
>engines, stop using any electricity (after all, that puts out
>particulates or damages nature or created radioactive waste) and stop
>making use of any plastics, polyesters, refrigeration, most medicines
>and any labor saving device.

Inadequate argument. QUANTITY is relevant here. Automobiles
pump out four times the pollution of motorcycles.

>After all, you need to do it 'for the
>children and/or environment.' Hell, you're not even allowed a fire
>to warm your cave in the winter (particulates, dontcha know). Better
>yet, quit breathing (CO2).

Have your car crushed into a little cube - do the world
a favor.

>I found it hilarious when the Earth Liberation torched all those nice
>Hummers in California so they wouldn't pollute.

Actually they produced vastly less pollution burning
them than the Hummers would have produced in an average
year of driving.

That aside, those people are fanatics.

>What they were too
>stupid to realize is that by burning the Hummers, with their plastics,
>polyethalines, hydrocarbons and all the other nice, chemical based
>structure, they put more particulates and pollution in the atmosphere
>than if those same vehicles had been driven for over 150 years. But,
>hey, it made them 'feel good' and that's all that counts...right?

Wrong. The Hummers burning hundreds of gallons of gasoline
would have produced far more pollution.

>You are not allowed to control my life just because of your silly assed
>beliefs.

Why not ? Others do it all the time.

>> its sheer size and weight
>> requiring considerable collateral damage to many aspects
>> of nature -

>Any technology effects

"affects"

>it's

"its"

>surroudings. Let me know when you start
>living in caves and wiping your ass with poison oak. After all, YOU
>want to be nature friendly, right?

Again, the false argument. Quantity is relevant, remember
that.

>> not to mention the damage such a big heavy
>> thing can do to other people and/or their property.

>It is not my concern, nor my responsibility, what damage happens to
>other people and/or their property.

REALLY now ? The judge may disagree ...

>It IS my responsibility that the
>least amount of damage happens to MY family.

Insanely selfish argument ... untenable as a member of
a society. Sorry, but you ARE responsible for others,
like it or not. The degree to which you are responsible
is debatable however.

>I don't give a **** about
>damage to my vehicle, either, as its express purpose is to transport
>us. OTHERS are responsible for their safety.

YOU can't have safety unless THEY are thinking safe.
THEY can't have safety unless YOU are thinking safe.

See how it works ?

>I drive defensively and have managed to go through life with only one,
>minor accident (Chick rear ended me, I hat a slightly bent bumper and
>she lost her radiator) and one major one. I was T-boned by a Semi
>running a red light. Had I been in a Civic I would be dead. As it
>was, my truck was destroyed and I got a trip to the emergency room.
>BUT, I lived. Tell me, how would it have been better to have been hit
>by a Semi while driving a Yugo?

Why were you in the path of the big truck ? Just ASSUMED it
was gonna stop ?

Good way to wind up dead.

>> Cars are NOT "safe" - except in the most selfish meaning
>> of the word.

>Then, feel free to do without. But you have no say so as to what I
>drive. And that bugs the **** out of you.

What you, and so many others, drive is wrecking the planet
(not to mention the local economy). I live on the planet.
Therefore I am concerned and will continue to assert some
degree of control.

>> Now, admittedly, a bike isn't the best option for a
>> ice-covered road in the middle of a Minnesota winter.

>And, because of the attitude of local drivers, it's not the best option
>for daily driving in my town.

Hell, my town is full of aged retirees ...

Nevertheless I've survived quite well.

Maybe I should write a book on how to do it ... ?

Clue : nobody can ride WITH me ... my riding style
is very 'adaptive' - I might pull into a business
or driveway or turn lane at any moment if I don't
like the vibes I'm getting from the traffic column.
I use the whole lane - shifting as necessary to best
see and be seen. I make a big buffer space. I wait
a few seconds after the light turns green. I weave a
bit as I apply the brakes - alerting the person behind.
I waggle my handlebars when someone is about to turn
left in front of me - shining my light in their eyes.

I once took a college course on visual perception. The
material borrowed heavily from old Air-Force data gathered
in the 50s when jet planes were new. They very carefully
studied just what and how people see things - and what
they don't see. This info has been of practical use to me.

>> They tend to slip and slide along a whole extra axis
>> compared to cars. Of course that's what sidecar rigs
>> were made for - some of those old/new Russian jobs
>> even have 2-wheel drive in the rear.
>>
>> Oh, ever seen a "Carver" 3-wheeler ? Stylish - and the
>> best of car and bike combined. Some Dutch company makes
>> them. I hope they make a lot more.

>Wasn't familiar with them, so I looked them up so as not to be
>talking from a point of ignorance. Nice little vehicle. Looks like it
>would be fun to drive and easy on the gas. I might consider one for
>commuting just to and from work on days when I didn't have to carry
>anything (seldom).

I drive nothing but motorcycles. Oddly enough, I discovered
that anything that won't fit on a bike ... you REALLY don'
need it. This has held true for over a decade now. If I need
a washing maching I'll have it delivered ...

>I'd like to have the little sport three wheeler,
>"T-rex'. It's fast, light and mean looking. Both would be fun,
>but wouldn't want to go up against even a Civic in one.

Spend lots of time tilting at windmills ?

Don't "go up against" cars.

>Again, you have no say it what I drive.

We'll see ...

>I choose to drive what I want,
>a big truck. If you are so worried about nature, then YOU make
>allowances in your life. Don't try to dictate any in mine.

Not good enough for just ME to adopt an ultra-high-mileage
vehicle. YOU have to do it too ... and 300,000,000 others.
I'll keep lobbying my congressmen - see if I can find a way
for them to make money/votes from adopting my position.
I know how it works ...

[email protected] July 5th 06 03:00 PM

Smart cars coming to the US

B1ackwater wrote:
> "Grendel" > wrote:
>

> >B1ackwater wrote:

> >> Odd ... I've got at least 800,000 miles on bikes without
> >> anyone squashing me. That's way beyond mere "luck". Clearly
> >> I'm doing something right. There are plenty of bikers in
> >> the same category, many in the million-mile club.
> >>
> >> Then there are the idiots ... but there are always some
> >> idiots everywhere you go.

> >Yes, there are idiots. Unfortunately I live in an area of the country
> >where a lot of idiots do not know how to drive. People around here
> >can't see a Fire Truck well enough not to pull out in front of it
> >(actually happened). If I were to live in another part of the country
> >I would probably have a bike (if I lived in the Dakotas you'd have a
> >hard time getting me off of one). But not here.

> Clue : People see what they're LOOKING FOR. They're
> looking for automobiles - not motorcycles, not fire-
> trucks. Faced with what they're not looking for they
> may as well be blind. Consider this and its implications ..

The implication is getting hit while on a scooter is more hazardous to
your health than getting hit while in a Peterbilt. ergo...

> >> "Safety" For WHOM ???

> >For ME, and MY family. THAT is the only ones I need be worried about
> >and THEY are the only ones who are MY responsibility.

> Choke 'em on pollution ... yea, that's "safe" ...

Hey, you got the hang up on pollution, not me. You have no sayso over
what I drive because of YOUR hangups.

> >> You're operating a device that's
> >> destroying the earth by bletching out mass quantities of
> >> CO2 and horrible poisons,

> >Get back to me when you give up any and all internal combustion
> >engines, stop using any electricity (after all, that puts out
> >particulates or damages nature or created radioactive waste) and stop
> >making use of any plastics, polyesters, refrigeration, most medicines
> >and any labor saving device.

> Inadequate argument. QUANTITY is relevant here. Automobiles
> pump out four times the pollution of motorcycles.

But less than a 10hp Briggs and Stratton and an infinitesimal amount
when compared to one small volcano....go after them.

> >After all, you need to do it 'for the
> >children and/or environment.' Hell, you're not even allowed a fire
> >to warm your cave in the winter (particulates, dontcha know). Better
> >yet, quit breathing (CO2).

> Have your car crushed into a little cube - do the world
> a favor.

Just because YOU are envious over what others can afford to drive does
not constitute a crisis on my part.

> >I found it hilarious when the Earth Liberation torched all those nice
> >Hummers in California so they wouldn't pollute.

> Actually they produced vastly less pollution burning
> them than the Hummers would have produced in an average
> year of driving.

Actually, you would be incorrect in that assumption. Just the
particulates from the tires burning would be equal to several years of
driving. That's not including the plastics, vinyls and polywhatevers
are in them.

> That aside, those people are fanatics.

Agreed.

> >What they were too
> >stupid to realize is that by burning the Hummers, with their plastics,
> >polyethalines, hydrocarbons and all the other nice, chemical based
> >structure, they put more particulates and pollution in the atmosphere
> >than if those same vehicles had been driven for over 150 years. But,
> >hey, it made them 'feel good' and that's all that counts...right?

> Wrong. The Hummers burning hundreds of gallons of gasoline
> would have produced far more pollution.
>
> >You are not allowed to control my life just because of your silly assed
> >beliefs.

> Why not ? Others do it all the time.
>
> >> its sheer size and weight
> >> requiring considerable collateral damage to many aspects
> >> of nature -

> >Any technology effects

> "affects"
>
> >it's

> "its"

Ohhh, spelling flames...I bow to the master...not.

> >surroudings. Let me know when you start
> >living in caves and wiping your ass with poison oak. After all, YOU
> >want to be nature friendly, right?

> Again, the false argument. Quantity is relevant, remember
> that.

Okay, but YOU are the one worried about quantity so it is YOUR duty to
reduce excess through changing YOUR lifestyle..not mine.

> >> not to mention the damage such a big heavy
> >> thing can do to other people and/or their property.

> >It is not my concern, nor my responsibility, what damage happens to
> >other people and/or their property.

> REALLY now ? The judge may disagree ...

If I were intentionally damaging someone else's property, that would
hold true. But it is my responsibility to look after the safety of my
family. This does not entail driving a smaller car so that everyone
gets equally hurt in an accident. Damn but you're dense.

> >It IS my responsibility that the
> >least amount of damage happens to MY family.

> Insanely selfish argument ... untenable as a member of
> a society. Sorry, but you ARE responsible for others,
> like it or not. The degree to which you are responsible
> is debatable however.

I am responsible for the safety of my family and responsible not to
actively endanger others. Driving a vehicle that I consider safer for
my family does not constitute endangering others. Again, you are
dense.

> >I don't give a **** about
> >damage to my vehicle, either, as its express purpose is to transport
> >us. OTHERS are responsible for their safety.

> YOU can't have safety unless THEY are thinking safe.
> THEY can't have safety unless YOU are thinking safe.

I am always 'thinking safe'...that JUST MIGHT BE why I go to the extra
expense to purchase a vehicle that has a higher probability of
surviving an accident (ya think?).

> See how it works ?

Yes, I see how it works. I see that I am responsible for the safety of
me and my loved ones. YOU can not see that others are responsible for
their own safety.

> >I drive defensively and have managed to go through life with only one,
> >minor accident (Chick rear ended me, I hat a slightly bent bumper and
> >she lost her radiator) and one major one. I was T-boned by a Semi
> >running a red light. Had I been in a Civic I would be dead. As it
> >was, my truck was destroyed and I got a trip to the emergency room.
> >BUT, I lived. Tell me, how would it have been better to have been hit
> >by a Semi while driving a Yugo?

> Why were you in the path of the big truck ? Just ASSUMED it
> was gonna stop ?

While driving down a major highway, do you stop at every side street?
I'd hate to have to drive behind you. Asshole wasn't paying attention
and ran a stop sign.

> Good way to wind up dead.

Ahh, but I'm not...had I been in a Yugo I certainly would have.

> >> Cars are NOT "safe" - except in the most selfish meaning
> >> of the word.

> >Then, feel free to do without. But you have no say so as to what I
> >drive. And that bugs the **** out of you.

> What you, and so many others, drive is wrecking the planet

Debatable. If they are ever outlawed, then you can preach.

> (not to mention the local economy).

Actually, mine boosts the local economy. Gas taxes and such.

> I live on the planet.

You live in fantasy land.

> Therefore I am concerned and will continue to assert some
> degree of control.

You have no control, and that is what burns you up. You are envious
over what others choose to drive so attempt to bring them down. You
biggest wish, like a good socialiist, is that everyone should be
equally miserable.

> >> Now, admittedly, a bike isn't the best option for a
> >> ice-covered road in the middle of a Minnesota winter.

> >And, because of the attitude of local drivers, it's not the best option
> >for daily driving in my town.

> Hell, my town is full of aged retirees ...
>
> Nevertheless I've survived quite well.
>
> Maybe I should write a book on how to do it ... ?
>
> Clue : nobody can ride WITH me ... my riding style
> is very 'adaptive' - I might pull into a business
> or driveway or turn lane at any moment if I don't
> like the vibes I'm getting from the traffic column.
> I use the whole lane - shifting as necessary to best
> see and be seen. I make a big buffer space. I wait
> a few seconds after the light turns green. I weave a
> bit as I apply the brakes - alerting the person behind.
> I waggle my handlebars when someone is about to turn
> left in front of me - shining my light in their eyes.
>
> I once took a college course on visual perception. The
> material borrowed heavily from old Air-Force data gathered
> in the 50s when jet planes were new. They very carefully
> studied just what and how people see things - and what
> they don't see. This info has been of practical use to me.

That is the intelligent thing to do. Especially if you ride
motorcycles. I'm not debating your ability to ride a motorcycle. I
just realize that, in my town, some people are liable to pull out in
front of a huge red fire engine with sirens blaring and lights ablaze.

> >> They tend to slip and slide along a whole extra axis
> >> compared to cars. Of course that's what sidecar rigs
> >> were made for - some of those old/new Russian jobs
> >> even have 2-wheel drive in the rear.
> >>
> >> Oh, ever seen a "Carver" 3-wheeler ? Stylish - and the
> >> best of car and bike combined. Some Dutch company makes
> >> them. I hope they make a lot more.

> >Wasn't familiar with them, so I looked them up so as not to be
> >talking from a point of ignorance. Nice little vehicle. Looks like it
> >would be fun to drive and easy on the gas. I might consider one for
> >commuting just to and from work on days when I didn't have to carry
> >anything (seldom).

> I drive nothing but motorcycles. Oddly enough, I discovered
> that anything that won't fit on a bike ... you REALLY don'
> need it.

Okay, but that is YOUR need, not mine. And, luckily, NEED is not a
requirement when deciding what I would LIKE to drive. Personally, I
feel I NEED a truck that I feel will sufficiently protect my loved ones
and carry what I need carried. Even if YOU feel I don't NEED that,
what YOU feel is irrelevant as all that is required is what I WANT.
Get over it.

> This has held true for over a decade now. If I need
> a washing maching I'll have it delivered ...

And I choose not to have to wait three days at home until the delivery
guy decides to show up, so I transport it myself. Amazingly, you get
things done a lot faster that way.

> >I'd like to have the little sport three wheeler,
> >"T-rex'. It's fast, light and mean looking. Both would be fun,
> >but wouldn't want to go up against even a Civic in one.

> Spend lots of time tilting at windmills ?

No, but have spent a number of occasions avoiding idiots.

> Don't "go up against" cars.

Unfortunately, I am on the road with 'cars'.

> >Again, you have no say it what I drive.

> We'll see ...

Yes, we will. Unfortunately there are enough idiots in this world that
my right to drive what I like could be curtailed. But, they'll have to
confiscate ALL my V-8s to accomplish this.

> >I choose to drive what I want,
> >a big truck. If you are so worried about nature, then YOU make
> >allowances in your life. Don't try to dictate any in mine.

> Not good enough for just ME to adopt an ultra-high-mileage
> vehicle. YOU have to do it too

No, I don't 'HAVE' to do anything. YOU feel that driving
ultra-high-mileage vehicles will 'save the planet' and 'stop doomsday'.
Well, feel free to live that way. You have no right to make me
comply.

>... and 300,000,000 others.

You have no sayso over them, either.

> I'll keep lobbying my congressmen - see if I can find a way
> for them to make money/votes from adopting my position.
> I know how it works ...

Yeah, and a congresscritter will be more than happy to separate you
from your money and laugh his ass off in the process. He'll slap you
on the back and say, "Why yes, Mr. Public, I'll get a delegation to
look right in to it." all the while thinking, "Like taking candy from a
baby."

What you don't understand, and can't stand in any form, is that in this
country we still have freedom of choice. Learn to live with it.

Yol Bolsun,
Grendel.

"Never underestimate the stupidity of liberals."