AutoBanter

-   Technology (http://www.autobanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   exhaust system question - 93 Ranger (http://www.autobanter.com/showthread.php?t=72308)

Marc Michaels August 14th 06 07:48 PM

exhaust system question - 93 Ranger

Hi all,

I'm looking to repair an exhaust problem with my Ranger. I was
wondering if someone can tell me what to ask for.

My catalytic converter looks good, and my muffler looks good. However
the coupling between the pipe from the catalytic and the pipe from the
muffler is totally rusted away. The pipes between the two are no
longer joined, so I'm getting a leak (and noise) from that spot. There
is a flanged end that looks to be ok.

Is there something I can do/purchase to repair the seal at that spot
without having to replace an entire pipe?

-marc

Ted Mittelstaedt August 15th 06 06:11 AM

exhaust system question - 93 Ranger

"Marc Michaels" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> Hi all,
>
> I'm looking to repair an exhaust problem with my Ranger. I was
> wondering if someone can tell me what to ask for.
>
> My catalytic converter looks good, and my muffler looks good. However
> the coupling between the pipe from the catalytic and the pipe from the
> muffler is totally rusted away. The pipes between the two are no
> longer joined, so I'm getting a leak (and noise) from that spot. There
> is a flanged end that looks to be ok.
>
> Is there something I can do/purchase to repair the seal at that spot
> without having to replace an entire pipe?

No. A exhaust shop will most likely attack it with a welder which
will last a few years then the welds will rot out, and you will have an
even worse problem. if the flanges on the catcon and muffler are fine,
and the connecting pipe has rotted away, then get a replacement from
the dealer.

Ted