AutoBanter

-   Saturn (http://www.autobanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Running out of gas..not empty (http://www.autobanter.com/showthread.php?t=25388)

[email protected] February 25th 05 08:38 PM

Running out of gas..not empty

My wife ran the SC2 (1999) out of gas a couple weeks ago. She did it
again the next week and now today it "ran out" on the freeway. She got
a splash from the highway helper, went to the gas station, and it only
took 5gallons to fill it. (the highway helper didnt dump more than a
half gallon in it)

What's going on? Is the fuel pump failing from running out the first
and second times? Why stall when there is 1/2 a tank?

perplexing..

Dan Duncan February 25th 05 10:22 PM

Biker Geek > wrote:
> It used to be that fuel caps had a simple pinhole. Now I think
> it's more of a one-way valve that allows outside air in but does
> not allow fuel vapors to escape.

Doesn't that vent get plugged if people repeatedly overfill the tank
instead of stopping when it clicks off?

-DanD

--
# Dan Duncan (kd4igw) http://pcisys.net/~dand

blah blah February 25th 05 10:53 PM

In article >,
says...
> Biker Geek > wrote:
> > It used to be that fuel caps had a simple pinhole. Now I think
> > it's more of a one-way valve that allows outside air in but does
> > not allow fuel vapors to escape.

> Doesn't that vent get plugged if people repeatedly overfill the tank
> instead of stopping when it clicks off?
>
> -DanD

Just a side note... DONT RUN THE TANK OUT OF GAS! Gas is ALWAYS cheaper
than fuel pumps and running out or running below a 1/4 of a tank equals
fuel pump damage.