AutoBanter

-   Corvette (http://www.autobanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   Help with Identification (http://www.autobanter.com/showthread.php?t=58284)

sticks March 1st 06 07:53 PM

Help with Identification

I have a small block Chevy in my pick-up with the following casting
numbers, can anyone help identify it's origin? Block Casting #3731548,
Engine Date Stamp T312F, Head Casting #3731554. Could it have come from
an early Corvette? It does have an early set of Corvette valve covers
on it.

WayneC March 2nd 06 04:17 AM

Help with Identification

sticks wrote:
> I have a small block Chevy in my pick-up with the following casting
> numbers, can anyone help identify it's origin? Block Casting #3731548,
> Engine Date Stamp T312F, Head Casting #3731554. Could it have come from
> an early Corvette? It does have an early set of Corvette valve covers
> on it.

No, not Corvette... Corvette used block 3731548 on the 1957 model, but
Chevy also used
it on many other applications; heads are not from a Corvette, but were
used on trucks and
full-size passenger cars. The clincher is that your block was assembled
by the Tonawanda NY
engine plant, but all Corvette engines were assembled by the Flint MI plant.

The "F" at the end of the date stamp would tell us more, but
unfortunately I don't have a guide that
includes that code.

sticks March 2nd 06 02:25 PM

Help with Identification