AutoBanter

-   Dodge (http://www.autobanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Does the Chrysler Corporation Car Production Broadcast paper show pinion bearing preload and pinion nut torque? (http://www.autobanter.com/showthread.php?t=4663)

JP September 18th 04 10:42 PM

Does the Chrysler Corporation Car Production Broadcast paper show pinion bearing preload and pinion nut torque?

The pinion nut of my 1976 Dodge Royal Monaco loosened. Does the Chrysler
Corporation Car Production Broadcast paper that I found under the car seat
show pinion
bearing preload and pinion nut torque? On the paper there is PIN valued
at 26 and P/Shaft valued at 251. Are these the factory settings of the
pinion bearing preload and
pinion nut torque? If not, is there a way to
determine these through the papers.

Does anyone know the pinion bearing preload and
pinion nut torque that the factory used for a 1976 Dodge Royal
Monaco?

Thank you for a reply to this newsgroup,

J. Pallendino
Cleveland, Ohio USA

John_F September 19th 04 03:27 AM

The factory service manual should give you a torque value. The later
manuals give a rotating torque for the shaft of a few inch oz. You
are crushing a collar inside on the shaft to set the preload so don't
over do it because you cannot back it off it you set it too much. It
takes a lot of FT Lbs on the nut to crush the collar. When you get
close do 1/16 of a turn increments. It most likely will require a
cheater bar handle extender to get enough torque to turn the nut.

John_F September 19th 04 03:27 AM

mic canic September 19th 04 04:44 AM

rotating spec is 24 inch lbs

mic canic September 19th 04 04:44 AM

rotating spec is 24 inch lbs

Daniel J. Stern September 21st 04 02:16 AM

On Sat, 18 Sep 2004, JP wrote:

> The pinion nut of my 1976 Dodge Royal Monaco loosened. Does the
> Chrysler Corporation Car Production Broadcast paper that I found under
> the car seat show pinion bearing preload and pinion nut torque?

No, the broadcast sheet shows the equipment and trim the car was built
with.

Get your torque values out of the Factory Service Manual.

Daniel J. Stern September 21st 04 02:16 AM