AutoBanter

-   Honda (http://www.autobanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   New Honda antifreeze formulation? (http://www.autobanter.com/showthread.php?t=36325)

TeGGeR® June 24th 05 04:05 AM

New Honda antifreeze formulation?

Just changed my coolant today.

Anybody else noticed that Honda's Type 2 premix is no longer dark green,
but is now dark blue instead? I wonder what the difference is?

--
TeGGeR®

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
www.tegger.com/hondafaq/

[email protected] June 24th 05 07:47 AM

Isn't that the latest Honda coolant suppose to fit to latest model?
Can you mix Honda premix coolant with a regular brand coolant? I ask
this question
becaues I've heard that the Honda waterpump is sensitive to the
different type of coolant. Some say wrong coolant might destory the
waterpump seal.

jim beam June 24th 05 02:56 PM

TeGGeR® wrote:
> Just changed my coolant today.
>
> Anybody else noticed that Honda's Type 2 premix is no longer dark green,
> but is now dark blue instead? I wonder what the difference is?

here in california, it's been blue since at least 2000. expect it's
just colorant.

[email protected] June 24th 05 09:59 PM

wrote:
> Isn't that the latest Honda coolant suppose to fit to latest model?
> Can you mix Honda premix coolant with a regular brand coolant? I ask
> this question
> becaues I've heard that the Honda waterpump is sensitive to the
> different type of coolant. Some say wrong coolant might destory the
> waterpump seal..

Might? No, will.

I've killed 3 of them myself. Takes 6 weeks to 6 months with silicate
fomulations before your pump seal is destroyed.

[email protected] June 25th 05 12:51 AM

A friend has a 1990 with about 10o0K (miles) onit. He has used
low toxic (ethyl proponal?) antifreeze that is silicate based for
the last 70+K, over 5 years. When I read the horrow stories
I told him he needs to go back to honda AF. He is getting the T-
belt, water pump, etal changed next week. I hope to get a look
at the water pump.

Perhaps EP silicate based AF is safer the EG silicate AF.
I an't willing to test it on my Civic.

Terry

SoCalMike June 25th 05 04:37 AM

>>Isn't that the latest Honda coolant suppose to fit to latest model?
>> Can you mix Honda premix coolant with a regular brand coolant? I ask
>>this question
>>becaues I've heard that the Honda waterpump is sensitive to the
>>different type of coolant. Some say wrong coolant might destory the
>>waterpump seal..

> Might? No, will.
>
> I've killed 3 of them myself. Takes 6 weeks to 6 months with silicate
> fomulations before your pump seal is destroyed.

it took 3 before you finally learned? ;)

SoCalMike June 25th 05 04:38 AM

wrote:
> A friend has a 1990 with about 10o0K (miles) onit. He has used
> low toxic (ethyl proponal?) antifreeze that is silicate based for
> the last 70+K, over 5 years. When I read the horrow stories
> I told him he needs to go back to honda AF. He is getting the T-
> belt, water pump, etal changed next week. I hope to get a look
> at the water pump.
>
> Perhaps EP silicate based AF is safer the EG silicate AF.
> I an't willing to test it on my Civic.
>
> Terry

ive used the orange prestone from the silver bottle for YEARS in all my
vehicles, and never had a coolant related problem.

[email protected] June 25th 05 05:19 AM

> it took 3 before you finally learned? ;)

Yup. We had two '90 Integras, one auto (ho-hum) and one manual
(vrooom!!). More pumps to kill means you kill more pumps.

Changed coolant in both, and the auto died almost immediately. Both
Acura and I thought it was a fluke. Acura put in a new pump under
warranty, and used Prestone I had supplied. Pump died again. Techline
told the Acura dealer, "don't do that." Meanwhile, the manual Integra
was still going, but did die after about 6 months. All pumps replaced
under warranty.

"Don't pick up a stranger." Yeah, right.

[email protected] June 25th 05 05:21 AM

The orange is OAT based, like Dex-Cool, isn't it? So there is no
silicate.

Screw prestone.

KWW June 26th 05 12:14 PM

Maybe they used an odd color to help keep folks from confusing it with a
"regular" formula?
--
KWW