AutoBanter

-   Mazda (http://www.autobanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   1990 Miata with 1.6 with shimmy in possibly the driveshaft. (http://www.autobanter.com/showthread.php?t=74364)

Trent[_1_] September 11th 06 02:36 PM

1990 Miata with 1.6 with shimmy in possibly the driveshaft.

I have a '90 Miata with a 1.6, I have only had it for about a
month, I have started driving it on a regular basis to work and noticed
a shimmy feeling in the car, I took it and had the wheels balanced and
rotated over the weekend, but as I was coming in to work today, I
noticed the shimming is still there, to describe the shimming goes
something like this, at about 60-70 mph, the car vibrates for a time
then stops for a time, it's like the driveshaft is unbalanced, after
the wheels were balanced, the vibration in the car has stopped but the
shimming has continued... does anyone know what the shimming may be...
thanks for the help... Trent

Christopher Muto[_1_] September 11th 06 02:47 PM

1990 Miata with 1.6 with shimmy in possibly the driveshaft.

i would think it is more likely due to a wheel bearing. the question is
which of the four. i ended up replacing all of mine at about 110,000 miles
because of a little shimmy in the front at high speed. the ones removed
just fell apart and did not require a press to remove them so it was good to
have done them all.

oups.com...

Lanny Chambers September 11th 06 03:53 PM

1990 Miata with 1.6 with shimmy in possibly the driveshaft.

In article .com>,
"Trent" > wrote:

> I took it and had the wheels balanced and
> rotated over the weekend, but as I was coming in to work today, I
> noticed the shimming is still there

Miatas are very sensitive to wheel balance. You need a better balance
job. Find a shop with a Hunter GSP9700 he
http://www.gsp9700.com/pub/search/findgsp9700.cfm

--
Lanny Chambers
'94C, St. Louis

Christopher Muto[_1_] September 11th 06 08:33 PM

1990 Miata with 1.6 with shimmy in possibly the driveshaft.

lanny's advice is always sound. the problem may just be the widely known
wheel ballance issue. but it could be the bearings as it was in my can and
which has similar symptons. you may find this an interesting read....
http://www.miata.net/garage/65_mph.html

XS11E[_1_] September 11th 06 11:01 PM

1990 Miata with 1.6 with shimmy in possibly the driveshaft.

"Christopher Muto" > wrote in

> lanny's advice is always sound. the problem may just be the
> widely known wheel ballance issue. but it could be the bearings
> as it was in my can and which has similar symptons. you may find
> this an interesting read....
> http://www.miata.net/garage/65_mph.html

I should mention that a bubble balance with a knowledgeable tech will
do a MUCH better balance job than a spin balancer that is out of
calibration. My personal experience is that a LOT of spin balancers
are out of calibration, probably most of them.

The OP might take the tires back to the original shop, ask them to
rebalance the tires after calibrating the balancer. It's not hard to
do but most shop will never do it.

Mike September 12th 06 02:10 AM

1990 Miata with 1.6 with shimmy in possibly the driveshaft.

Make sure that all 4 tires are inflated between 26 psi and 28 psi.

Trent[_1_] September 12th 06 03:02 PM

1990 Miata with 1.6 with shimmy in possibly the driveshaft.

I appreciate all the advise, I'll check the wheel bearings when I
get home....I really like this site, there are alot of knowledgable
folks out there when it comes to dealing with the little Miata...
Thanks again.... Trent

Remove This September 12th 06 05:27 PM

1990 Miata with 1.6 with shimmy in possibly the driveshaft.

"Trent" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> I appreciate all the advise, I'll check the wheel bearings when I
> get home....I really like this site, there are alot of knowledgable
> folks out there when it comes to dealing with the little Miata...

I'm little. That makes my Miata BIGGGG.
LOL

--
I work for the ILEC ...." stuff happens! "

pws[_1_] September 12th 06 06:13 PM

Remove This wrote:

> I'm little. That makes my Miata BIGGGG.
> LOL

Yes, as much as I wouldn't mind a few extra inches in height and a
little extra weight, the miata looks like it was designed for someone my
size.
If it had a tilt steering wheel, it would never be used by me.

Have you ever seen a really big person in a miata? It looks funny as
hell. I have a friend who is 6'5" with long legs/short torso. His head
fits underneath the top, but his knees were up around his ears.
He went on exactly one ride and said no way, ever.
I agreed with him. I don't think it would have been safe for him to
drive it.

I know that there are a lot of very tall and/or heavy people driving
miatas that make do, but that is exactly what they are doing, making do.
There is no way that the car fits them as perfectly as it does to
someone close to my size.

Pat

XS11E[_1_] September 12th 06 06:25 PM

1990 Miata with 1.6 with shimmy in possibly the driveshaft.

pws > wrote in
:

> I know that there are a lot of very tall and/or heavy people
> driving miatas that make do, but that is exactly what they are
> doing, making do. There is no way that the car fits them as
> perfectly as it does to someone close to my size.

I'm 6'4" with a 34" inseam and the Miata fits me perfectly, as if
designed specifically for my size. I've driven it on trips of around
400 miles or so and am completely happy with the fit.

It's also white, maybe white Miatas fit better as well as being faster?
Leon can explain it, I'm sure.

pws[_1_] September 12th 06 07:42 PM

XS11E wrote:

> I'm 6'4" with a 34" inseam and the Miata fits me perfectly, as if
> designed specifically for my size. I've driven it on trips of around
> 400 miles or so and am completely happy with the fit.
>
> It's also white, maybe white Miatas fit better as well as being faster?
> Leon can explain it, I'm sure.

Yes, I am sure that Mazda looked at the potential miata market and said,
"let's design the car to fit people who are 6'4", since that is the
average height of people around the world, especially in America &
Japan". ;-)

You have me by 7 inches in height, but only 2 inches on the inseam. That
means your head is very close to the top when the top is raised.
If you were built like my friend, who probably has closer to a 38" - 40"
inseam, (I don't ask guys stuff like that), it would not fit you well at
all.

BTW, 400 miles is nothing, I have done that many times to the Mexican
border and back. 3600 miles in 12 days is a little more taxing, but it
was still comfortable to drive.
I don't think Leon would have been too comfortable on his Florida to
Alaska and back trip if he was double his size, no matter what color
miata he was driving. :-)
I am talking about width as well as height, and leg length means a lot
with this car.

Pat

XS11E[_1_] September 12th 06 07:47 PM

1990 Miata with 1.6 with shimmy in possibly the driveshaft.

pws > wrote in
:

> That means your head is very close to the top when the top
> is raised.

I can wear an Australian Bush hat with the top up, there's enough
clearance. Your Miata must be MUCH smaller than mine.

XS11E[_1_] September 12th 06 07:54 PM

1990 Miata with 1.6 with shimmy in possibly the driveshaft.

pws > wrote in
:

> Yes, I am sure that Mazda looked at the potential miata market and
> said, "let's design the car to fit people who are 6'4", since that
> is the average height of people around the world, especially in
> America & Japan". ;-)

Correct. 6'3" or less = midget, 6'5" or more = giant, 6'4" = perfect!

Actually the Miata was designed entirely in California and it was
designed to fit large people.

Having said all that, the original design has apparently been lost, I
don't fit in the current model at all as has been previously been
discussed. Sooner or later I'll sell the 1992 and then I'll probably
be out of the Miata world. <sigh>

It's not only fit, the chances of me buying a car w/o a spare tire are
less than the chances of the Arizona Cardinals winning the Super Bowl.
Of course, it's been almost 3 weeks since I had to use the spare...

pws[_1_] September 12th 06 07:59 PM

XS11E wrote:

> I can wear an Australian Bush hat with the top up, there's enough
> clearance. Your Miata must be MUCH smaller than mine.

The thought of you driving your miata around while wearing an Australian
bush hat is just too damned scary, but I still want to see.
Do you have a picture of this frightening scenario?

At least it is my miata that you called smaller.... ;-)

Pat

pws[_1_] September 12th 06 08:09 PM

XS11E wrote:

> Correct. 6'3" or less = midget, 6'5" or more = giant, 6'4" = perfect!

Heh.

> Actually the Miata was designed entirely in California and it was
> designed to fit large people.

Large is a relative term. My friend fit his Ford Bronco very well. As I
said before, he was probably incapable of driving the miata safely.

It also is not so much height as width.
On average, we are getting fatter and fatter, there is a certain limit
to how wide an ass that seat will hold.
There is also only so much room between the door and the console even if
the person flabs out over the bolsters. It is very much a double-seat on
the airplane situation without any options.

> Having said all that, the original design has apparently been lost, I
> don't fit in the current model at all as has been previously been
> discussed. Sooner or later I'll sell the 1992 and then I'll probably
> be out of the Miata world. <sigh>

But hopefully you will stay here. We love you, XS11E!

> It's not only fit, the chances of me buying a car w/o a spare tire are
> less than the chances of the Arizona Cardinals winning the Super Bowl.
> Of course, it's been almost 3 weeks since I had to use the spare...

Who in the hell are the Arizona Cardinals? Is that a sports team? ;-)

Pat

Remove This September 12th 06 08:18 PM

1990 Miata with 1.6 with shimmy in possibly the driveshaft.

Spirit ghost of Steve Irwin ?

XS11E[_1_] September 12th 06 08:55 PM

1990 Miata with 1.6 with shimmy in possibly the driveshaft.

pws > wrote in
:

> Who in the hell are the Arizona Cardinals? Is that a sports team?
> ;-)

They've been pretending to be a professional football team for over 100
years and so far, nobody's buying their act.

XS11E[_1_] September 12th 06 08:59 PM

1990 Miata with 1.6 with shimmy in possibly the driveshaft.

pws > wrote in
:

> The thought of you driving your miata around while wearing an
> Australian bush hat is just too damned scary, but I still want to
> see. Do you have a picture of this frightening scenario?

Nope. I wear it for camouflage, I work at the Phoenix Zoo and with my
uniform shirt, khaki trousers and the hat I blend in perfectly with
everyone else.

BTW, Phoenix summers demonstrate the effectiveness of the hat as a sun
shade, it works better than most anything else.

pws[_1_] September 13th 06 12:18 AM

XS11E wrote:

> Nope. I wear it for camouflage,

When I read that I thought, man that is a dangerous zoo where the
keepers have to hide from the animals. ;-)

> I work at the Phoenix Zoo and with my
> uniform shirt, khaki trousers and the hat I blend in perfectly with
> everyone else.

Cool, do you have sulcatas there? (African Spurred Toroise)

Pat

XS11E[_1_] September 13th 06 12:33 AM

1990 Miata with 1.6 with shimmy in possibly the driveshaft.

pws > wrote in
:

> XS11E wrote:
>
>> Nope. I wear it for camouflage,

> When I read that I thought, man that is a dangerous zoo where the
> keepers have to hide from the animals. ;-)
>
>> I work at the Phoenix Zoo and with my
>> uniform shirt, khaki trousers and the hat I blend in perfectly with
>> everyone else.

> Cool, do you have sulcatas there? (African Spurred Toroise)

No, sorry, we have no African Spurred Toroise. We do have some African
Spurred Tortoises but I'm not sure if they're currently on display?

Some months ago I was giving a tour of the zoo and we stopped the cart
to look at the baboons. Across from them is the Mohr's Gazelle
enclosure and at that time there were at least two of the spurred
tortoises there hard at work making more spurred tortoises. One of the
other volunteers came by, looked at the scene and commented to me,
"We're going to get letters!"

We always do when sex happens, damn critters insist on behaving like...
well, like animals!

pws[_1_] September 13th 06 01:08 AM

Zoo animals (was: 1990 Miata with 1.6 with shimmy in possiblythe driveshaft.) NMC

XS11E wrote:

> No, sorry, we have no African Spurred Toroise. We do have some African
> Spurred Tortoises but I'm not sure if they're currently on display?

Picking on me for a typo, and that after I got sulcata correct. That
just isn't right.

> Some months ago I was giving a tour of the zoo and we stopped the cart
> to look at the baboons. Across from them is the Mohr's Gazelle
> enclosure and at that time there were at least two of the spurred
> tortoises there hard at work making more spurred tortoises. One of the
> other volunteers came by, looked at the scene and commented to me,
> "We're going to get letters!"
>
> We always do when sex happens, damn critters insist on behaving like...
> well, like animals!

Here is a picture of my "tortoise" from about a year ago.

http://img.inkfrog.com/pix/pat/tortoise.jpg

She is growing at an alarming rate, from 2 3/4 pounds this time last
year to almost 6 pounds today.

They don't live as long as the Galapagos tortoise, but they can still go
past 100 years. This one is about 3, so she should have a while left.

I have heard that there is still a living Galapagos tortoise that Darwin
brought back on the Beagle, but I have never verified this. If true, the
animal is at least 175 years old.

Pat

pws[_1_] September 13th 06 01:31 AM

Zoo animals

pws wrote:

> I have heard that there is still a living Galapagos tortoise that Darwin
> brought back on the Beagle, but I have never verified this. If true, the
> animal is at least 175 years old.
>
> Pat

Well, you can tell I am bored today.

Harriet was the tortoise and she died less than 3 months ago in Australia.
There is dispute over whether she was actually brought back on the
Beagle by Darwin, but her age was estimated at 175 years.
There was a male Galapagos tortoise that lived to a verified 188 years
that died in 1965. (born in 1777)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harriet

Pat

XS11E[_1_] September 13th 06 02:54 AM

Zoo animals (was: 1990 Miata with 1.6 with shimmy in possibly the driveshaft.) NMC

pws > wrote in
:

> XS11E wrote:
>
>> No, sorry, we have no African Spurred Toroise. We do have some
>> African Spurred Tortoises but I'm not sure if they're currently
>> on display?

> Picking on me for a typo, and that after I got sulcata correct.
> That just isn't right.

I notice you didn't attempt the full name, Geochelone sulcata!

> Here is a picture of my "tortoise" from about a year ago.
>
> http://img.inkfrog.com/pix/pat/tortoise.jpg
>
> She is growing at an alarming rate, from 2 3/4 pounds this time
> last year to almost 6 pounds today.
>
> They don't live as long as the Galapagos tortoise, but they can
> still go past 100 years. This one is about 3, so she should have a
> while left.

We have a Galapagos that's over 100, he's pretty big. When the
Tortoises had their annual physicals we had to use the elephant's scale
to weigh them which ****ed off the elephants a whole bunch, they don't
like to share. It took six or more people to partially lift the bigger
ones onto the scale....

Did you know when Galapagos tortoises mate the male bellows and grunts
and roars? Scares the HELL out of visitors!

Chris D'Agnolo September 13th 06 03:04 AM

1990 Miata with 1.6 with shimmy in possibly the driveshaft.

THANK YOU LANNY! Damn, one (probably incorrect) response and it was off to
the OFF TOPIC FRENZY! What were you people thinking! Kids!

The guy even said thanks for the great help! ........inseams my arse!

aaahhhh,
Chris
99BBB

pws[_1_] September 13th 06 03:46 AM

Chris D'Agnolo wrote:
> THANK YOU LANNY! Damn, one (probably incorrect) response and it was off to
> the OFF TOPIC FRENZY! What were you people thinking! Kids!
>
> The guy even said thanks for the great help! ........inseams my arse!
>
> aaahhhh,
> Chris
> 99BBB

If only that were true. I still act like a kid, but the body gets harder
to fool every day.

To get back on topic about miatas with shimmy problems, did you hear
that Britney Spears gave birth to her second child? ;-)

Pat

Christopher Muto[_1_] September 13th 06 04:37 AM

Zoo animals (was: 1990 Miata with 1.6 with shimmy in possibly the driveshaft.) NMC

to bring this back on topic... are you guys saying that an adult galapagos
tortoise could not drive a miata because they are just too big?

Lanny Chambers September 13th 06 05:02 AM

Zoo animals (was: 1990 Miata with 1.6 with shimmy in possibly the driveshaft.) NMC

In article <X1LNg.3429$Rw2.3081@trnddc02>,
"Christopher Muto" > wrote:

> to bring this back on topic... are you guys saying that an adult galapagos
> tortoise could not drive a miata because they are just too big?

Hmph. That's not on-topic.

But male tortoises are very sensitive to alignment. If it's not right,
they bellow and grunt and roar. If it is right, they shimmy.

--
Lanny Chambers
'94C, St. Louis

XS11E[_1_] September 13th 06 05:09 AM

1990 Miata with 1.6 with shimmy in possibly the driveshaft.

"Chris D'Agnolo" > wrote in
:

> THANK YOU LANNY! Damn, one (probably incorrect) response and it
> was off to the OFF TOPIC FRENZY! What were you people thinking!
> Kids!
>
> The guy even said thanks for the great help! ........inseams my
> arse!

Inseams are on topic as are tortoises. Now stop top posting and stop
talking about Miatas!

NOTE: Arses are on topic.

pws[_1_] September 13th 06 05:28 AM

Zoo animals

Christopher Muto wrote:
> to bring this back on topic... are you guys saying that an adult galapagos
> tortoise could not drive a miata because they are just too big?

They do get too big, but that is not the point.
A tortoise is very smart for a reptile, and they already move slowly
enough when walking.
Driving the underpowered miata and slowing down even more just would not
make any sense and they realize this.

That is why they have been here for 180 million years while we aren't
going to make it to even close to one million years. They keep things
simple, we complicate and screw things up. :-)

Pat

pws[_1_] September 13th 06 05:46 AM

XS11E wrote:

> Inseams are on topic as are tortoises. Now stop top posting and stop
> talking about Miatas!
>
> NOTE: Arses are on topic.

Actually, inseam lengths can be an on-topic issue in a vehicle the size
of a miata, they just don't have anything to do with wheel shimmy.

I wasn't making that up about my tall friend, there is no seat
adjustment, removing of foam, or any other thing you could do to make
the miata comfortable for him to drive.
This is simply because his legs are too long for a car this size.
Call it inseam length or leg length, but if your inseam is 32", 34", or
40+ inches, this is going to make a difference in how the car fits you.

Pat

XS11E[_1_] September 13th 06 02:02 PM

1990 Miata with 1.6 with shimmy in possibly the driveshaft.

pws > wrote in
:

> Call it inseam length or leg length, but if your inseam is 32",
> 34", or 40+ inches, this is going to make a difference in how the
> car fits you.

Nonsense, anyone with a chainsaw can fix leg length.

Iva September 13th 06 03:22 PM

XS11E wrote:
> Pat wrote:
> > Call it inseam length or leg length, but if your inseam is 32",
> > 34", or 40+ inches, this is going to make a difference in how the
> > car fits you.

> Nonsense, anyone with a chainsaw can fix leg length.

Yes, that's true. But it does leaves nasty stains on the carpet and seats.
Although I imagine with the correct upholstery and carpet color, they
wouldn't be as noticeable. <g>

Iva & Belle.)
'90B Classic Red.)
#3 winkin' Miata

pws[_1_] September 13th 06 03:34 PM

Iva wrote:

> Yes, that's true. But it does leaves nasty stains on the carpet and seats.
> Although I imagine with the correct upholstery and carpet color, they
> wouldn't be as noticeable. <g>
>
> Iva & Belle.)
> '90B Classic Red.)
> #3 winkin' Miata

The '93 LE might be a good choice.

NOW we are back on topic. Thanks Iva. :-)

Pat

XS11E[_1_] September 13th 06 03:52 PM

1990 Miata with 1.6 with shimmy in possibly the driveshaft.

pws > wrote in
:

> Iva wrote:
>
>> Yes, that's true. But it does leaves nasty stains on the carpet
>> and seats. Although I imagine with the correct upholstery and
>> carpet color, they wouldn't be as noticeable. <g>
>>
>> Iva & Belle.)
>> '90B Classic Red.)
>> #3 winkin' Miata

> The '93 LE might be a good choice.
>
> NOW we are back on topic. Thanks Iva. :-)

Wanna start a pool as to how long we stay on topic? <GD&R>

Iva September 13th 06 04:24 PM

Pat wrote:
> Iva wrote:
>
> > Yes, that's true. But it does leaves nasty stains on the carpet and

seats.
> > Although I imagine with the correct upholstery and carpet color, they
> > wouldn't be as noticeable. <g>
> >

> The '93 LE might be a good choice.
>
> NOW we are back on topic. Thanks Iva. :-)

Don't know about the LE - isn't it difficult to get blood stains out of
leather? And yes, the blood will match while it's fresh but I'm concerned
that it will be too dark after drying to continue to match.

(Topic? What topic?) <g>

Iva & Belle.)
'90B Classic Red.)
#3 winkin' Miata

Remove This September 13th 06 04:48 PM

Zoo animals

Do these tortoises come in white?

Remove This September 13th 06 04:53 PM

1990 Miata with 1.6 with shimmy in possibly the driveshaft.

Britney has a Miata? Is that what the kid was caught driving awhile ago?

XS11E[_1_] September 13th 06 09:30 PM

Zoo animals

"Remove This" > wrote in

> Do these tortoises come in white?

Yes but nobody can catch them because they're so fast.

Don Bruder September 13th 06 11:27 PM

Zoo animals

In article >,
XS11E > wrote:

> "Remove This" > wrote in
>
> > Do these tortoises come in white?

> Yes but nobody can catch them because they're so fast.

I'd have thought they'd be fairly easy to catch, since the viscosity is
likely pretty high...

ever knowing it arrived. Sorry... <http://www.sonic.net/~dakidd> for more info

Scott Hughes September 14th 06 02:35 PM

1990 Miata with 1.6 with shimmy in possibly the driveshaft.

pws > wrote in
:

> XS11E wrote:
>
>> I'm 6'4" with a 34" inseam and the Miata fits me perfectly, as if
>> designed specifically for my size. I've driven it on trips of around
>> 400 miles or so and am completely happy with the fit.
>>
>> It's also white, maybe white Miatas fit better as well as being
>> faster? Leon can explain it, I'm sure.

> You have me by 7 inches in height, but only 2 inches on the inseam.
> That means your head is very close to the top when the top is raised.
> If you were built like my friend, who probably has closer to a 38" -
> 40" inseam, (I don't ask guys stuff like that), it would not fit you
> well at all.
>
> I am talking about width as well as height, and leg length means a lot
> with this car.
>
> Pat

Another important factor is how close you prefer to be to the steering
wheel & pedals. I'm 6'2" w/ a 32-34" inseam and I feel like my 94 was
custom-made for me. I don't even have the seat all the way back. If I
put my hands at 10&2, I have probably about a 50 deg bend at the elbows.
My knees also stay "comfortably" bent. This is the most comfortable to
me, tho most people, it seems, would considder this cramped.

I will concur w/ XS11E tho, the newer models don't fit so well. A friend
of mine has an 06, and if I adjust his seat to how I have mine, my right
knee presses up against the dash and my head hits a crossbar in the top.
Moving the seat a notch back and leaning it a notch back gets around
this, but I don't know if I'd every be as comfortable in a new one as I
am in mine.

-Scott