AutoBanter

-   Mazda (http://www.autobanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   WARNING, ON TOPIC POST! (http://www.autobanter.com/showthread.php?t=74516)

Chuck September 17th 06 09:47 AM

WARNING, ON TOPIC POST!

When I try this using the plug, I always end up with an arm full of oil, and
usually end up dropping the plug.

pws[_1_] September 17th 06 04:48 PM

WARNING, ON TOPIC POST!

Chuck wrote:
> When I try this using the plug, I always end up with an arm full of oil, and
> usually end up dropping the plug.

I agree, it also keeps you from getting underneath the car, a place I
don't like to be no matter how well supported the car is. I have spent a
lot of hours under there and it just gets less comfortable as time rolls on.
Oh, the joy of a real lift! Every home garage should come standard with
one. ;-)

I was just pointing out that when I started reading about miatas, there
seemed to be a near-fanatical response to any oil change question that
said your miata would blow up, vaporize, go into a time warp or whatever
if a new crush ring was not used.
After talking to a trusted friend who assured me that this was pure BS
and that he had used the same drain plug ring through at least 20 oil
changes, I gave it a try.
Like it was pointed out by another poster, there is no real reason not
to use a new one, many vendors tape one onto the filter box, but there
really isn't a reason to use it either that I can see.
I have about 30 of them in my toolbox if anyone thinks that I am wrong
and needs one for free. I think that I have a lifetime supply. :-)

Pat

Bipestuff September 18th 06 10:28 PM

WARNING, ON TOPIC POST!

> Like it was pointed out by another poster, there is no real reason not
> to use a new one, many vendors tape one onto the filter box, but there
> really isn't a reason to use it either that I can see.
> I have about 30 of them in my toolbox if anyone thinks that I am wrong
> and needs one for free. I think that I have a lifetime supply. :-)
>
> Pat

I agree. The washer is made out of aluminum. It can be re-used until
it is either damaged some how (surface is not flat) or is squeezed so
thin it no longer compresses, which means you're tightening it too
much. A new washer is not necessarily better than the old one, if it
is the wrong size or has a damaged surface. You can clean up the
surface with some fine wet sandpaper if you happen to damage it some
how or buy a new one with a scratch across the surface...