AutoBanter

-   VW water cooled (http://www.autobanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   I think I saw a Golf V in Ontario (http://www.autobanter.com/showthread.php?t=14170)

Rob Guenther October 12th 04 03:20 AM

I think I saw a Golf V in Ontario

Was driving along Highway 400 in Ontario and in the opposite flow of traffic
I saw a Golf with grey mouldings (dark grey on a silver car) on the bumpers
and door panels, the mouldings were larger then the (body coloured anyways)
A4 style ones... and the headlights looked a little different... couldn't
really catch the tail lights (traffic got in the way, and I was doing 120kph
in one direction, while he was going ~100+ in the other direction).... The
kicker - it had a RED liscence plate on it - These are government plates in
Canada... I've seen German envoys in Ottawa in G320's with the red
plates.... a car that wasn't imported over here for sure... I'm thinking it
was some european diplomat or whatnot going for a drive or something.

Another note - there was no DTRL's running on this car, all Golf's sold in
Canada have them...

Think it's possible I saw a Golf V, anyone from Europe who's seen one, what
do the mouldings on the body look like?

Al Rudderham October 12th 04 04:22 AM

On Mon, 11 Oct 2004 22:20:23 -0400, "Rob Guenther"

Check out http://showrooms.volkswagen.de/golf/ and see for yourself.

--
Remove preceding and trailing X from username for replies
(Sorry, but I'm SICK of spam...)

Rob Guenther October 12th 04 09:27 PM

Yah, looked like the car 2nd picture down... So they can import over cars
from Europe that easily if it's for the government then?

Ken Sternberg October 13th 04 01:10 AM

I saw a couple of A5 Golfs in Europe the other week. The tail lights
have a distinctive round lamp within them, and the front hood is
definitely shorter and more rounded, like a Toyota Echo or something.

Al Rudderham October 13th 04 01:43 AM

On Tue, 12 Oct 2004 16:27:06 -0400, "Rob Guenther"
> wrote:

>Yah, looked like the car 2nd picture down... So they can import over cars
>from Europe that easily if it's for the government then?

If it really had diplomatic (red) plates on it, then they can probably
do whatever they want.

Matt B. October 13th 04 02:04 AM

"Rob Guenther" > wrote in message
. ..
>Yah, looked like the car 2nd picture down... So they can import over cars
>from Europe that easily if it's for the government then?

Could it have been a diplomat plate of some sort?

wewu October 13th 04 04:00 AM

Red Ontario plates is diplomatic corps. They can import whatever vehicles
they want, tax free!

Rob Guenther October 13th 04 10:03 PM

Thats what the red plates are for I believe...

Rob Guenther October 13th 04 10:04 PM

Thanks for the info.... How do I become a diplomat ;-).