AutoBanter

-   Mazda (http://www.autobanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Window motor (http://www.autobanter.com/showthread.php?t=49855)

Jerry November 28th 05 02:09 PM

Window motor

The driver's side window on my '97 Miata has been acting sluggish and
apparently drawing lots of amps lately. At first I thought that the
window and/or mechanism needed to be lubricated, but the dealer said
that the motor was in decline and needed replacement.

I'm now planning on having the job done. Anything I should be aware
of or look out for? What's a fair price for the job and parts?

Thanks,
Jerry

Lanny Chambers November 28th 05 03:17 PM

Window motor

In article <EsFkI7LVLls8-pn2-eTHxilITsYF7@localhost>,
"Jerry" > wrote:

> The driver's side window on my '97 Miata has been acting sluggish and
> apparently drawing lots of amps lately. At first I thought that the
> window and/or mechanism needed to be lubricated, but the dealer said
> that the motor was in decline and needed replacement.

I think the dealer is probably wrong. Check these pages:
http://www.miata.net/garage/powerwin/index.html
http://www.miata.net/garage/CleaningSwitch.html

Also, while you're cleaning and lubricating the window tracks, see if a
plastic roller has developed a flat spot and stopped rolling.

--
Lanny Chambers
'94C, St. Louis

Natman November 28th 05 04:52 PM

Window motor

On Mon, 28 Nov 2005 14:09:55 GMT, "Jerry" >
wrote:

>The driver's side window on my '97 Miata has been acting sluggish and
>apparently drawing lots of amps lately. At first I thought that the
>window and/or mechanism needed to be lubricated, but the dealer said
>that the motor was in decline and needed replacement.
>
>I'm now planning on having the job done. Anything I should be aware
>of or look out for? What's a fair price for the job and parts?
>
>Thanks,
>Jerry

Do a lube first. The dealer will replace the motor ($), lube the
tracks and VOILA !!! your window will go up smoothly.

Christopher Muto November 28th 05 10:47 PM

Window motor

"Lanny Chambers" > wrote in message
> In article <EsFkI7LVLls8-pn2-eTHxilITsYF7@localhost>,
> "Jerry" > wrote:
>
>> The driver's side window on my '97 Miata has been acting sluggish and
>> apparently drawing lots of amps lately. At first I thought that the
>> window and/or mechanism needed to be lubricated, but the dealer said
>> that the motor was in decline and needed replacement.

> I think the dealer is probably wrong. Check these pages:
> http://www.miata.net/garage/powerwin/index.html
> http://www.miata.net/garage/CleaningSwitch.html
>
> Also, while you're cleaning and lubricating the window tracks, see if a
> plastic roller has developed a flat spot and stopped rolling.
>
> --
> Lanny Chambers
> '94C, St. Louis
> http://www.hummingbirds.net/alignment.html

and if you want to build your confidence about the benifits of lubrication
with the absolute least about of effort... try using silicon spray to
lubricate the rubber guide at the front edge of the window. the guide that
the widow sits in when in the upright position. in my case, lubricating
this part had more positive impact than applying the lithium grease in the
guides inside the door (but that did help me too). roll down the window and
place a rag at the base of the guide, then lightly spray into the channel...
you want to avoid getting the silicon on the paint or the glass so use it
with the tube attachment and use it sparingly.