AutoBanter

-   Saturn (http://www.autobanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Symptoms of Bad Motor Mounts? (http://www.autobanter.com/showthread.php?t=38851)

Box134 July 22nd 05 10:00 PM

Symptoms of Bad Motor Mounts?

Last time I was at Saturn they said one of the motor mounts was just within
spec and would need attention eventually. I left it for another day. But I
was wondering, what do you see, feel, or hear when motor mount replacement
is necessary?

I have noticed recently while idling in neutral that the motor was running
rough. When I paid close attention I realized the motor was running fine,
but engine vibration seemed increased. Is this what happens, more shaking is
transferred into the frame when the mounts fail? Seems to make sense to me,
but what do I know!

blah blah July 23rd 05 12:19 AM

In article >, lid
says...
> Last time I was at Saturn they said one of the motor mounts was just within
> spec and would need attention eventually. I left it for another day. But I
> was wondering, what do you see, feel, or hear when motor mount replacement
> is necessary?
>
> I have noticed recently while idling in neutral that the motor was running
> rough. When I paid close attention I realized the motor was running fine,
> but engine vibration seemed increased. Is this what happens, more shaking is
> transferred into the frame when the mounts fail? Seems to make sense to me,
> but what do I know!

That is a symptom. If you are talking about an S-series? the upper
torsion mount can be checked by using your index finger as a gage. The
bracket is like an upside down U. If you can stick your finger through
the upper center part of the U then the mount should be good. If its
completely collapsed you cant stick you finger in there. Another method
(for all makes and models) is to have someone put the car in gear, hold
the brake, and you visually watch the engine as its given a little gas
and let off. You would then monitor how much movement the engine makes.

A tune up could solve a rough idle as well if thats what it needs.

Ratbert July 23rd 05 12:20 AM

Box134 wrote:
> Last time I was at Saturn they said one of the motor mounts was just within
> spec and would need attention eventually. I left it for another day. But I
> was wondering, what do you see, feel, or hear when motor mount replacement
> is necessary?
>
> I have noticed recently while idling in neutral that the motor was running
> rough. When I paid close attention I realized the motor was running fine,
> but engine vibration seemed increased. Is this what happens, more shaking is
> transferred into the frame when the mounts fail? Seems to make sense to me,
> but what do I know!

Yep, that's it. It will seem very smooth once you replace the mount.

B. Peg July 23rd 05 02:00 AM

Mine got bad enough that when I made right-hand turns it made a clicking
noise. Thought the CV joints were going and were changed to no avail, but it
ended up being the upper mount.

B~

Art July 23rd 05 02:16 AM

On a different brand car I thought the motor mounts were going but the
dealer said it was the rear auto transmission mount. He turned out to be
right.

Box134 July 24th 05 06:23 AM

Thanks to all who replied, blah2, Rathbert, Peg, and Art. Careless of me, it
is a 96SL2.

I think the mount is about a $100 item. Guess I'll have it done soon.

Bob Shuman July 24th 05 11:37 AM

The Torque Axis Mount was about $65 or so as I recall for the part at the
dealer ... it took about 15 minutes to install if you have a jack and some
tools. I have no idea what the dealer or a garage would charge, but suspect
it would be more than $100 total.

There are other lower motor mounts, but they rarely go bad. If it is one of
them, then the cost will be much higher.

Bob

Jonnie Santos July 24th 05 11:28 PM

Bob Shuman wrote:
> The Torque Axis Mount was about $65 or so as I recall for the part at the
> dealer ... it took about 15 minutes to install if you have a jack and some
> tools. I have no idea what the dealer or a garage would charge, but suspect
> it would be more than $100 total.
>
> There are other lower motor mounts, but they rarely go bad. If it is one of
> them, then the cost will be much higher.
>
> Bob
>

> "Box134" > wrote in message
>
>>Thanks to all who replied, blah2, Rathbert, Peg, and Art. Careless of me,

> it
>
>>is a 96SL2.
>>
>>I think the mount is about a $100 item. Guess I'll have it done soon.

I went through 2 or 3 (can't remember) and the bill was closer to $200
at the dealer. The first replacement on my 97 required a stud kit
(Saturn bounced back and forth on the kit - yours may not require one).
I also had the dogbone mounts replaced with stiffer aftermarkets which
translated lots more engine vibration but but less stress on the TAM.

Kevin M. Keller July 26th 05 04:19 AM

Jonnie Santos > typed until their
fingers bled, and came up with:

> Bob Shuman wrote:
>> The Torque Axis Mount was about $65 or so as I recall for the part at
>> the dealer ...

$35 at Advance Auto.

--
Visit the Saturn Performance Club - http://www.saturnperformanceclub.com

[email protected] July 26th 05 08:16 PM

> There are other lower motor mounts, but they
> rarely go bad. If it is one of them, then the cost
> will be much higher.

While I agree that the lower mounts last a lot longer than the upper
mounts, I disagree because I've found they don't cost a lot. I
replaced the lower dogbone mount and it was only $30 from the dealer,
way less than the upper mount.

Tim.