AutoBanter

-   BMW (http://www.autobanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   BMW 'Goodwill' (http://www.autobanter.com/showthread.php?t=33475)

Paul Aspinall May 23rd 05 08:34 PM

BMW 'Goodwill'

Hi
I have put another post in the NG, asking about BMW warranties....

However, I am wondering what BMW's stance would be, if something went wrong
with the engine / gearbox on my 745Li, if it were not under warranty.
What would they do, with regards to 'Goodwill'??
I believe that an engine / gearbox on a £78000 car should last at least
200,000 miles.....

Has anyone ever had any experience of BMW contributing when the car is out
of warranty?

Cheers

Paul
'98 740
'00 740
'02 745Li

bfd May 23rd 05 09:25 PM

I think the engine/gearbox on your car are going to be the *least* of
your worries. You bought the first year of the E65/66 body style. Can
you spell - p-r-o-t-o-t-y-p-e?

Electronics will be more of a concern. Of course, you could be lucky,
but most first year owners complained about the electronics.

As for whether a car should "last at least 200,000 miles", well that
all depends on your driving style and the conditions you drive in. Why
should BMW or any other mfr, warranty or guarantee your car? Who is to
say you don't "abuse" your car, e.g., shift each and every gear at 7000
rpm? Alternatively, if someone did "abuse" their car, should BMW
"guarantee" it?

Further, ask yourself how do you maintain your car? How often do you
change your brake fluid? coolant? transmission or differential oil? (Oh
yeah, you're suppose to a a "lifetime" tranny fluid -hahahahah) What
about things like water pump or radiator (you know its plastic right?)

Remember, car mfrs are in the business of SELLING cars. Why would you
think their "goodwill" should extend beyond the warranty period? Good
Luck with all that!

Jeff Strickland May 23rd 05 09:39 PM

Are you selling any of that? I don't even care what it is, it has to be
pretty good **** if it makes you wonder if the factory is going to take part
in a welfare progam for the very rich.

. uk...

Paul Aspinall May 23rd 05 11:02 PM

Well... they never covered some stuff in the warranty on my previous 740's,
because they were high milers.... 100000 miles....

And they put things down to 'wear and tear' which wasn't covered.....
yet.... I still got them to make a contribution.....

So.... there you go.

Paul Aspinall May 23rd 05 11:06 PM

"bfd" > wrote in message
oups.com...
>I think the engine/gearbox on your car are going to be the *least* of
> your worries. You bought the first year of the E65/66 body style. Can
> you spell - p-r-o-t-o-t-y-p-e?

I think so.

> Electronics will be more of a concern. Of course, you could be lucky,
> but most first year owners complained about the electronics.

I've had a few electronics problems already. Had things reset twice in 18
months.

> As for whether a car should "last at least 200,000 miles", well that
> all depends on your driving style and the conditions you drive in. Why
> should BMW or any other mfr, warranty or guarantee your car? Who is to
> say you don't "abuse" your car, e.g., shift each and every gear at 7000
> rpm? Alternatively, if someone did "abuse" their car, should BMW
> "guarantee" it?

The car is automatic, so its impossible to over-rev it. Also, the E65/E66
has Condition Based Servicing (CBS), which monitors how you drive, and
adjusts accordingly.
My cars are always fully serviced by BMW, when required.

> Further, ask yourself how do you maintain your car? How often do you
> change your brake fluid? coolant? transmission or differential oil? (Oh
> yeah, you're suppose to a a "lifetime" tranny fluid -hahahahah) What
> about things like water pump or radiator (you know its plastic right?)

All my cars are fully BMW serviced in accordance with requirements.

> Remember, car mfrs are in the business of SELLING cars. Why would you
> think their "goodwill" should extend beyond the warranty period? Good
> Luck with all that!

Because I paid £78000 for a car, and I believe it should have a better
warranty than 3 years. In addition, I was told at the time of sale, that the
BMW extended warranty would be £1553 for 3 extra years.... now its £1536 for
1 year!!!!

daytripper May 23rd 05 11:24 PM

On Mon, 23 May 2005 19:34:18 GMT, "Paul Aspinall" > wrote:

>Hi
>I have put another post in the NG, asking about BMW warranties....
>
>However, I am wondering what BMW's stance would be, if something went wrong
>with the engine / gearbox on my 745Li, if it were not under warranty.
>What would they do, with regards to 'Goodwill'??
>I believe that an engine / gearbox on a £78000 car should last at least
>200,000 miles.....
>
>Has anyone ever had any experience of BMW contributing when the car is out
>of warranty?

If you really have to ask....the only sensible advice is:
Get out now while you can still make it someone else's problem...

Troika May 24th 05 04:05 AM

If you take care of your car and DO THE THINGS YOU R SUPPOSE TO do to your
vehicle
BMW WILL KNOW. YOUR CAR WILL ADJUST TO THE WAY YOU DRIVE. When was the
last time you change your tranny oil ?.how old is your car how many miles on
your car?.
All these things come into play so tell me what is wrong with your car?.

Malt_Hound May 24th 05 01:09 PM

Paul Aspinall wrote:
> Hi
> I have put another post in the NG, asking about BMW warranties....
>
> However, I am wondering what BMW's stance would be, if something went wrong
> with the engine / gearbox on my 745Li, if it were not under warranty.
> What would they do, with regards to 'Goodwill'??
> I believe that an engine / gearbox on a £78000 car should last at least
> 200,000 miles.....

The initial pricetag of the car has absolutely nothing to do with how
long they will warrant the engine and gearbox. Witness the Hyundais
with their 100k mile powertrain warranty across the entire inexpensive
line.

By the way, your expectations do not jive with reality. There are *no*
car companies that offer a 200k mile warranty on powertrains.

If you *need* to have the car covered by warranty then you had better go
out and buy one no matter what the price of it. OTOH, if you need the
money more than the warranty you can either take your chances and keep
the money in your pocket or get rid of the car. Let's face it, the
chances are pretty slim you'll ever incur repair charges that even equal
the cost of the warranty or else the warranty companies would go broke.

> Has anyone ever had any experience of BMW contributing when the car is out
> of warranty?

I personally have not, but have heard many 3rd and 4th hand stories
where BMW picked up either all, or more often a part, of the cost of the
repair if they feel there was a design flaw which was in part
responsible for the failure. Considering that I have heard no such
claims about the modern 745's (with either engine or transmissions) I
would expect to be completely on your own should you now have a failure
out of warranty.

Ya buys yer ticket and ya yakes yer chances...

-Fred W

Malt_Hound May 24th 05 02:56 PM

Paul Aspinall wrote:

> Because I paid £78000 for a car, and I believe it should have a better
> warranty than 3 years.

Now you know the difference between perception and reality. You may
exist in either one, your choice...

> In addition, I was told at the time of sale, that the
> BMW extended warranty would be £1553 for 3 extra years.... now its £1536 for
> 1 year!!!!

You were *told*? Hah. Well then, you should have purchased the
warranty at that time, then you would have known what the cost would be.

How on earth could you (or anyone) receive a quote for this (or
anything) and expect it to remain the same three years later?

Are you really this naive?

-Fred W

Neil May 24th 05 04:22 PM

"Paul Aspinall" > wrote in message
. uk...
> Hi
> I have put another post in the NG, asking about BMW warranties....
>
> However, I am wondering what BMW's stance would be, if something went

wrong
> with the engine / gearbox on my 745Li, if it were not under warranty.
> What would they do, with regards to 'Goodwill'??
> I believe that an engine / gearbox on a £78000 car should last at least
> 200,000 miles.....

What follows are my opinions, which may differ from those of others.

I think it's fair to want a more expensive car to last as long if not longer
than a cheaper car, but the reality is that you're not paying more for a BMW
than a Ford solely because of the expectation that it will have a longer
life. For your money you're also getting prestige, performance,
exclusivety, handling, creature comforts, etc.

The fact is that your technically superior BMW while better in 9 out of 10
categories for example, may well not last as long as a Ford before requiring
expensive maintenance. Factors that may affect the need for maintenance of
your BMW include the previously mentioned creature comforts (the greater the
number of moving parts and electrical components the increased likelihood
that something will go wrong), and the fact that BMW produce fewer vehicles
than Ford meaning fewer economies of scale.

I suspect if your car failed outside of warranty, that you'd get little
goodwill. Possible exception might be if it failed after just passing the
mileage limit, but I'm speculating.

I agree that ideally, life span of engine/transmission and any other
component would be directly related to the price you pay, but that would
mean those of use that can't afford a car that costs more money than we earn
in 2 years, would be stuck with more affordable vehicles that only last
20,000 miles.

I can certainly see the appeal of leasing a new BMW and returning it for a
new model at the end of the lease period. If I had the funds to be able to
purchase a 745Li, I'd do it with the expectation that I may have to spend
significant sums on maintenance the longer I kept it.

As a side note, there's a 1991 750il with only 88k miles advertised for sale
locally to me, and the seller only wants $4,000. I don't expect what was
once BMW's flagship vehicle to last another 112k miles before requiring what
is likely to be very expensive engine or transmission work, notwithstanding
the fact that the vehicle may have been abused.

I hope my reply comes across as more empathetic than those of others, as
that was my intention. It's surprising to me that you should receive such
unempathic responses from a group that -- I think it's fair to assume -- are
in a similar position regarding costs of purchasing and maintaining what
some consider the best* cars in the world.

Of course the fact that others are in the same metaphorical boat would
explain the automatic reaction of 'look before you leap'. It's my
experience with many usenet groups, that there are many more silent
individuals agreeing with you, than there are those that disagree and say as
much.

*If not measured by cost of ownership.