AutoBanter

-   VW air cooled (http://www.autobanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Vac advance 009? (http://www.autobanter.com/showthread.php?t=13600)

Dennis Wik November 21st 04 05:37 PM

Vac advance 009?

Cleaning my shop today I found an old distributor which has been on the
back of a shelf for 10+ years that I took off an old engine. Anyway
before I put it into the junk file, I checked the number which is 0 231
137 009. It is a vacuum advance 009. I did not know VW ever had a 009
mech/vac advance. Can anyone shed some light on this. It has the
standard VW logo to the left of the numbers and Bosch made in Germany on
the bottom. Dennis

href="http://albums.photo.epson.com/j/AlbumIndex?u=4025706&a=30209382&vt=vp">Den's
1977 Puma</a>

Speedy Jim November 21st 04 06:00 PM

Dennis Wik wrote:

> Cleaning my shop today I found an old distributor which has been on the
> back of a shelf for 10+ years that I took off an old engine. Anyway
> before I put it into the junk file, I checked the number which is 0 231
> 137 009. It is a vacuum advance 009. I did not know VW ever had a 009
> mech/vac advance. Can anyone shed some light on this. It has the
> standard VW logo to the left of the numbers and Bosch made in Germany on
> the bottom. Dennis
>
> href="http://albums.photo.epson.com/j/AlbumIndex?u=4025706&a=30209382&vt=vp">Den's
> 1977 Puma</a>

0231 137 009 113 905 205K 0231 137 010 113 905 205L Beetle 66-67

From: http://www.oldvolkshome.com/ovhignbo.htm

Speedy Jim
http://www.nls.net/mp/volks/

Dennis Wik November 22nd 04 01:41 AM

It must have been off the 66' I gave to my son a few years ago. Anyway,
I always thought that a 009 Bosch was a centrifugal advance distributor
only and I was surprised to see one with a vacuum hook up. How did this
number designation end up on the two different designs?

Speedy Jim November 22nd 04 02:38 AM

Dennis Wik wrote:
> It must have been off the 66' I gave to my son a few years ago. Anyway,
> I always thought that a 009 Bosch was a centrifugal advance distributor
> only and I was surprised to see one with a vacuum hook up. How did this
> number designation end up on the two different designs?
>
> href="http://albums.photo.epson.com/j/AlbumIndex?u=4025706&a=30209382&vt=vp">Den's
> 1977 Puma</a>

It's just a quirk of the part numbering system.

Speedy Jim
http://www.nls.net/mp/volks/

Jim Adney November 23rd 04 03:40 AM

On Sun, 21 Nov 2004 19:41:07 -0600 (Dennis Wik)
wrote:

>How did this
>number designation end up on the two different designs?

The 009 is just the last 3 digits. Distributors with different
kinds/combinations of advances are in different "families" which get
different numbers in front of the 009.

-
Jim Adney

Madison, WI 53711 USA