AutoBanter

-   Technology (http://www.autobanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   fuel consumption enigma (http://www.autobanter.com/showthread.php?t=35432)

carl June 14th 05 09:54 AM

fuel consumption enigma

Hello,

I have been searching to find info on this problem. The car is a
Mitsubishi Space Star 1.3 16 V 1999.

Normal consumption averaged 6.2 l / 100 km. After a while, but
suddenly, fuel consumption lowered, starting at 5 l to even 4 l / 100
km. And this on average and instantaneous rate.

A fill up at the gas station confirmed the figure from the onboard
computer.

Does anyone know how this consumpton is calculated, and could this mean
a sensor has gone faulty ?

The odometer has no significant fault, only 10 %, which would not
explain the problem.

Any help warmly appreciated,

Regards,

Carl

Ian Riches June 14th 05 10:17 AM

In article . com>,
says...
> Hello,
>
> I have been searching to find info on this problem. The car is a
> Mitsubishi Space Star 1.3 16 V 1999.
>
> Normal consumption averaged 6.2 l / 100 km. After a while, but
> suddenly, fuel consumption lowered, starting at 5 l to even 4 l / 100
> km. And this on average and instantaneous rate.

<rest snipped>

Causes of poor fuel consumption include (in no particular order):

1) Failed / failing lambda sensor (also known as oxygen sensor). See
http://www.picotech.com/auto/lambda_sensor.html

2) Incorrect tyre pressures

3) Failed thermostat - does the engine get up to operating temperature
OK?

4) Failed temperature sensor - if it gets to the right temperature, does
the engine managament system know it?

5) Binding brakes - do any of the wheels feel far hotter than they
should? Does the car "Lurch" to a halt, or gently glide to a stop?

6) Fuel leak - should be obvious by the smell! (But I guess if the
computer is showing poor economy this is not the case for you..)

and finally, and most obviously

7) Forgetting to remove roof-rack, trailer or caravan ;-)

Ian
--
Ian Riches
Bedford, UK

Thomas Schäfer June 14th 05 10:41 AM

"Ian Riches" wrote

> > Normal consumption averaged 6.2 l / 100 km. After a while, but
> > suddenly, fuel consumption lowered, starting at 5 l to even 4 l / 100
> > km. And this on average and instantaneous rate.

> Causes of poor fuel consumption include (in no particular order):

In this case it's not poor fuel consumption,
it's an exceptional good fuel consumption.

> > Does anyone know how this consumpton is calculated,
> > and could this mean a sensor has gone faulty ?

If a fill up at the gas station confirms the onboard computer,
it's probably not faulty.

Don't touch the perfectly running system!

Thomas

Adrian June 14th 05 10:42 AM

Ian Riches ) gurgled happily, sounding much like they
were saying :

>> Normal consumption averaged 6.2 l / 100 km. After a while, but
>> suddenly, fuel consumption lowered, starting at 5 l to even 4 l / 100
>> km.

> Causes of poor fuel consumption include (in no particular order):

Umm, Ian...

6.2l/100km is 45mpg
5l/100km is 55mpg
4l/100km is 70mpg.

> And this on average and instantaneous rate.

So this is the economy that the trip computer's reporting? Personally, I
think the computer's lying through it's teeth...

(I presume it isn't *really* doing 70mpg? If it is, find the problem, and
bottle it. You'll make your fortune.)

Ian Riches June 14th 05 10:43 AM

In article >,
says...
> "Ian Riches" wrote
>
> > > Normal consumption averaged 6.2 l / 100 km. After a while, but
> > > suddenly, fuel consumption lowered, starting at 5 l to even 4 l / 100
> > > km. And this on average and instantaneous rate.

> > Causes of poor fuel consumption include (in no particular order):

> In this case it's not poor fuel consumption,
> it's an exceptional good fuel consumption.

Ooops. Teach me not to read properly and confuse my l/100km with mpg.

In that case, look for air leaks.....

Ian
--
Ian Riches
Bedford, UK

Ian Riches June 14th 05 10:45 AM

In article . 170>,
says...
> Subject: fuel consumption enigma
> From: Adrian >
> Newsgroups: alt.autos.mitsubishi, rec.autos.tech, uk.rec.cars.maintenance
>
> Ian Riches ) gurgled happily, sounding much like they
> were saying :
>
> >> Normal consumption averaged 6.2 l / 100 km. After a while, but
> >> suddenly, fuel consumption lowered, starting at 5 l to even 4 l / 100
> >> km.

> > Causes of poor fuel consumption include (in no particular order):

> Umm, Ian...
>
> 6.2l/100km is 45mpg
> 5l/100km is 55mpg
> 4l/100km is 70mpg.

I know. Blame confusion of l/100km and mpg, not being used to people
complaining about *improved* fuel economy and publically embarassing
lack of comprehension skills.

I suspect one of those may be more to blame than the others.

Oops.

Ian
--
Ian Riches
Bedford, UK

Adrian June 14th 05 10:57 AM

Ian Riches ) gurgled happily, sounding much like
they were saying :

> not being used to people complaining about *improved* fuel economy

<snort>

A definite rarity...

Depresion June 14th 05 11:16 AM

"carl" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> Hello,
>
> I have been searching to find info on this problem. The car is a
> Mitsubishi Space Star 1.3 16 V 1999.
>
> Normal consumption averaged 6.2 l / 100 km. After a while, but
> suddenly, fuel consumption lowered, starting at 5 l to even 4 l / 100
> km. And this on average and instantaneous rate.
>
> A fill up at the gas station confirmed the figure from the onboard
> computer.
>
> Does anyone know how this consumpton is calculated, and could this mean
> a sensor has gone faulty ?
>
> The odometer has no significant fault, only 10 %, which would not
> explain the problem.
>
> Any help warmly appreciated,

Pop your spark plugs out and have a look at them to see if there are signs of it
running lean.

William R. Watt June 14th 05 12:07 PM

I'd check the computer by keeping a record of the amount of fuel purchased
and the odometer reading each time you buy gasoline and do a calculation
by hand. I keep a notebook in the car in which I record the money spent on
gas for my personal budget, and the amount and milage to compute fuel
consumption. I have a record of every gas purchase going back to April
1989 when I purchased the car new. I understand it's more accurate if you
fill up the tank each time but I don't. I also keep a record of all
maintenance in the notebook. :)

homepage: www.ncf.ca/~ag384/top.htm

jejtopgun June 14th 05 02:29 PM

The fuel consumption is normally calculated with the injection time on
this injector by the ECU. The fuel consumption is given as frequence
signal to the computer. This is most of the system anyway.

A really good fuel consumption can mean a lot of thing, from the ecu
calculating wrong to a computer problem. As your engine is still
running fine, I do not thing that the ECU is gone.

I will personnaly tip on a signal problem betwwen the ECU and the
computer. This could be chekced by any good repair shop.

Another possible problem is the mileage of the injectors. In some
cases, large mileage injector tends to inject far much more than
normal. Therefore the ECU will correct the injection volume by dropping
the injection time, reducing the calculated fuel consumption. However,
you will see it on your gas exhaust measurement, normaly the Nox, COx
and HC are exploding !

Well I will recommend you to have your electric system checked !

Regards

Jerome Douay
www.Team74.com