AutoBanter

-   Ford Explorer (http://www.autobanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   2002 transmission problem? (http://www.autobanter.com/showthread.php?t=20946)

thekid December 16th 04 09:10 AM

2002 transmission problem?

I have a 2002 XLT 4WD, V6 and there's a noticeble shudder as the tranmission
shifts into final gear (5th).
Has anyone else had this problem and was ford able to resolve the issue? I
am now at 39K mikes so no warranty.

Thanks in advace for replies.

Searcher December 17th 04 01:27 AM

What, no warranty AFTER ONLY 39000? I have a 97 that is still under
warranty, at least the engine, drive train and major other things. Of course
I paid and extra 2100.00 for the 100000 mile warranty.
Have you checked the fluid levels? I really don't see how low fluid
could cause a shudder in 5th though I would go through the motions of
looking at everything user servicable before heading off to the dealer.

Searcher1

[email protected] December 29th 04 06:59 PM

I have the same problem with my 2001 Explorer Sport V6. Had the
"Transmission Serviced" at the 30,000mile dealer service interval.
They screwed it up Real Well. I think they put ATF in instead of the
"Mercon-V(5)" fluid that the dip-stick requires to be used. The Dealer
still didn't fix the shudder, and my fuel mileage went from 330mi/tank
to 230mi/tank. NICE. So Don't get your transmission back flushed and
serviced, this will not fix the problem.

Big Bill December 29th 04 09:09 PM

On 29 Dec 2004 09:59:59 -0800, wrote:

>I have the same problem with my 2001 Explorer Sport V6. Had the
>"Transmission Serviced" at the 30,000mile dealer service interval.
>They screwed it up Real Well. I think they put ATF in instead of the
>"Mercon-V(5)" fluid that the dip-stick requires to be used. The Dealer
>still didn't fix the shudder, and my fuel mileage went from 330mi/tank
>to 230mi/tank. NICE. So Don't get your transmission back flushed and
>serviced, this will not fix the problem.

You *think* they put in the wrong fluid? What did you base this on?
Did you *ask* the dealer to diagnose the shudder, or just have the
service done, thinking that would fix it?
Why would servicing the tranny reduce your fuel mileage?
Why do you say that back-flushing won't fix the problem? Do you
somehow know exactly what his problem is?

Nothing personal, but how much do you know about transmissions?

--
Bill Funk
Change "g" to "a"