AutoBanter

-   General (http://www.autobanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   cars prices depend on zip code? (http://www.autobanter.com/showthread.php?t=16529)

[email protected] January 15th 05 09:53 PM

cars prices depend on zip code?

Whenever I go online and search for car prices, I need to enter the zip
code first. Does it mean different places have different car prices?
Why it that?

please advise. thanks!!

[email protected] January 16th 05 01:11 AM

writes:

> Whenever I go online and search for car prices, I need to enter the zip
> code first. Does it mean different places have different car prices?
> Why it that?
>
> please advise. thanks!!

There are two reasons.

1. Regulatory requirements vary from state to state. A car to be sold
in California must meet tougher emissions regulations than cars
sold in many states, for example.

2. Regional promotions. A manufacturer may offer a special option
package or a special price only for California, say, or in the
Pacific Northwest.

--
-Stephen H. Westin

Professor January 16th 05 11:07 PM

Suppose you lived in Hawaii. Do you suppose they could quote you the
same price for a car delivered there?
Of course they also like to know who is shopping so they can tailor
their ads.

sdlomi2 February 2nd 05 12:01 PM

> wrote in message
> writes:
>
> > Whenever I go online and search for car prices, I need to enter the zip
> > code first. Does it mean different places have different car prices?
> > Why it that?
> >
> > please advise. thanks!!

> There are two reasons.
>
> 1. Regulatory requirements vary from state to state. A car to be sold
> in California must meet tougher emissions regulations than cars
> sold in many states, for example.
>
> 2. Regional promotions. A manufacturer may offer a special option
> package or a special price only for California, say, or in the
> Pacific Northwest.
>
> --
> -Stephen H. Westin
> Any information or opinions in this message are mine: they do not
> represent the position of Cornell University or any of its sponsors.

Plus, $1000 in NY is not as much 'money' as $1000 in Arkansas. Plus,
one certainly wouldn't want to go to a met. areas where carpooling is
encouraged when he is wanting to buy a used Buick Estate wagon. Also, a
vehicle w/o air cond. would prolly bring less $ in a sunshine state, like
Fla., than in a colder climate like mountainous areas in Washington state.
Prices do vary by zip code! s